Friday, February 12, 2010

Rainy Day Blahs

Today I'm curious what you guys and gals out there do when the weather isn't very cooperative, and you're stuck indoors. Do you make it movie time? Do you flip through the channels, praying that there's something interesting on the ol' tv? Or, bored to death, do you actually pick up a book and read? Or, maybe even better than any of those things, do you just crawl back into bed and go back to sleep?

For me, it depends on what my honey wants to do. Today, for example, we made it movie time. We watched three movies from Netflix. The first two movies were actually kind of crappy. Lies and Illusions starred Christian Slater (who whined like a little girl through most of the movie) and Cuba Gooding, Jr. (who usually acts much better than he did in this one). On a scale of 1 to 5 stars, this movie barely gets 1 star from me. It was classified under action, but it really was kind of a pansy movie. Christian Slater has played some tough-guy roles, so I know he can be an action star, but in this movie he had to keep whining, "But I'm a writer!" I never realized how wimpy writers are portrayed until this movie. Maybe his character should be introduced to the guy from Stephen King's Misery...he might learn a thing or two!

The second movie we watched was a 2009 movie called The Land that Time Forgot. It starred and was directed by C. Thomas Howell and co-starred Timothy Bottoms. This is another movie that gets 1 whole star from me. Honestly, I'm being generous here with my stars. The acting in this one was probably worse than the Christian Slater movie. Howell was a pretty decent actor when he was younger. His directing could use a lot of work. One might think that someone with his years of experience in front of the camera would be much better behind it...Wrong, wrong, wrong. The basic gist of the movie is the boat Howell, his wife, and their two friends are on (captained by Timothy Bottoms, with some other dude as the first mate) get pulled into the Bermuda Triangle and shipwrecked on an island that, yep you guessed it, time forgot. There are prehistoric dinosaurs, pterodactyls, huge dragonflys, blah, blah, blah. You'd think this would make for an interesting movie, but you'd be wrong. The special effects weren't all that great (you could tell that the t-rex was totally CGI) and the acting was a bit over the top. There's a few other things that happens, like trying to get off the island, but I don't remember enough of it now, and it's only been 5 hours or so since the movie ended!

The third and final movie that we watched was Foul Play, starring Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn. It's classified as a rom-com, but it does have a little bit of a who-dunnit kind of thing going on. It is an older movie, being released back in 1978, but I still thought it was pretty funny. Goldie Hawn, in my opinion, has always had a knack for playing the pretty, kind of dumb blonde. Chevy Chase, who will forever be Clark Griswold to me, had his funny moments, too. He got to play the hero who gets to keep the girl in this one. Burgess Meredith also had a role in this movie, and he was absolutely hilarious in it! He actually kind of stole the scenes when he was in them. Okay, so in case you've never seen this movie, Hawn plays a librarian who gets a pack of cigs containing a roll of film from an undercover cop. After he's killed, the bad guys go after Hawn to try to get the film back. Chase is a cop who, in the beginning of the movie tries to woo Hawn's character but does a very bad job, gets the task of protecting Hawn. Oh, Dudley Moore (from the movie 10 with Bo Derek and the Arthur movies) also has a small role in the movie, and he's a scene stealer, too! All in all, I liked this movie...I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Now if my sweetie is busy doing something, at work, whatever, and I'm left to do my own thing, I'll probably pick up a book. If you read my first blog about tv, you know I don't have cable so just flipping on the tv isn't an option for me. And, if I get really, really bored, I will crawl back into bed, pull the covers up over my head and go back to sleep; Lord knows that I can never get too much sleep!

So there ya have it folks--the cure that suits me during crappy weather blahs! Stay tuned next time for a whole new treat. I do believe that I'll take the time to talk about movies next. I know my blog is titled What Do You Watch on TV, but it was all I could think of at the time. I figure if I expand it a bit to include movies some people out there will stop on by my little blog and become a fan! Oh, and one more thing, if you like what you read (that is if it's not too long and boring), please give the link to others and pass the word around! I won't mind one bit if someone besides me reads this thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment