Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sports

The biggest football game of the year took place on February 7, 2010. Of course, I'm talking about the Super Bowl. It was an intense game between the Indianapolis Colts and the New Orleans Saints. The Saints were the underdogs, performing in their first big Championship game. The Colts won Super Bowl XLI in 2007, giving Peyton Manning his first Super Bowl ring. I rooted for the Saints, mostly because they were the underdogs, but, also, because I truly believed that they were the only team that had what it took to beat the Colts. I was right, of course. Now don't get me wrong, Drew Brees and the rest of the Saints had me a bit worried there in the first quarter (and for a good portion of the 2nd quarter). I started to doubt myself. Like a miracle from Heaven, though, the jitters or whatever it was they had, seemed to be disappear. The team came to their senses and the tide turned their way. The game was exciting, with edge-of-your-seat action, and when the Saints defense intercepted on a Colt's pass play I knew the game was in the bag for the Saints. I think it was maybe one of the best Super Bowls I've ever watched.

That's what I love about sports--the excitement generated from great plays. I played basketball, softball, and soccer when I was growing up. I loved soccer even before Mia Hamm made it cool to be a soccer player. Soccer may not be as popular here in the States as it is in every other country, but if you've played it you know the excitement you get when you're out on the field. My favorite position in soccer is the goalie. This is the very last line of defense to keep the other team from scoring. The feeling you get when you save that ball from going into your net is just awesome! As for softball, I loved to play outfield and first base. I miss being out there on the playing field, having the camaraderie of my teammates, the wind blowing through my hair, and the sheer joy of what I was doing! Of course, the best part was always winning (not that I won all the time)!

No matter how you enjoy your sports, playing or watching, make sure you do it as often as you can! Naturally, playing a sport will keep you healthy (as long as you don't get injured), but sometimes watching can be just as exhilarating and/or exhausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment