Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What's Your Favorite TV Show?

Okay, my previous blog was about how you prefer to watch your favorite tv show or shows. Now, I want to know what your favorite tv show(s) is or are.

As for me, I have several. I don't necessarily think that I have a specific genre that I like; I'm kind of all over the place when it comes to television. One genre that I don't particularly care for is reality tv. I'm not a big fan of Survivor, The Amazing Race, etc. I will, occasionally, watch some reality shows, like American Idol. My preference in tv shows really is to get away from reality. And, yes, I do know that some reality tv shows aren't exactly "real". I also don't necessarily want a show that's thought-provoking. I watch tv to relax, to get away from it all, to empty my mind of all the crud I've experienced throughout the day.

That being said, here's a list of some of what I currently watch (if I gave a complete list of all my fave shows, this blog would be really, really long!):

Chuck (Monday nights a 7 p.m. Central time on NBC)--I love this show! It's currently in its 3rd season, and I think that it just keeps getting better. I was a little hesitant about how it would go after the end of the season 2, but the actors and writers are doing an exceptional job of keeping it fresh. In case you've never seen or heard of this show, it's about a 20-something guy, Charles "Chuck" Bartowski, who accidentally gets a government program called the Intersect embedded into his brain. He thus becomes an (at first) unwilling asset to two CIA agents who must protect him from all kinds of bad guys. This show has action, comedy, suspense, and even a little romance. Basically, it's got a little something for everyone!

How I Met Your Mother (Monday nights at 7 p.m. Central time on CBS)--This is a show I didn't really get into until it's 4th season. The show is currently in it's 5th season. The reason I watch this show is because of Barney, played by Neil Patrick Harris. Barney is hilarious in his schemes to get women in bed with him! Of course, another reason I watch is because I really, really want to know who Ted's wife is. The show always starts out with an older (off-screen) Ted talking to his 2 kids about how he met their mother. The show has been teasing, naturally, every season about who this woman is, and it will be a sad day when she is finally revealed because it will mean the end of the series. I keep up with this show basically because it's a comedy that doesn't have to try too hard to be funny.

CSI: Miami (Monday nights at 9 p.m. Central time on CBS)--This is another show I didn't really become a fan of until it had already been on for several seasons. I just started watching it last season, its 6th one. I like a lot of the visuals it gives of Miami during the course of an episode, and I like a lot of the technology the lab gets to use. I find the storylines are pretty decent and pretty close to everyday occurrences (the closest to reality I really want to get while watching tv). Sometimes, however, David Caruso does kind of irk me. He doesn't speak very much at one time, generally, and when he does have a line it strikes me as kind of hokey. Don't get me wrong, his character does have presence when he's in a scene, though. Generally, I like all the other characters/actors on the show. This one I watch because I think it would be so cool to be a real CSI (it's also why I watch CSI: Crime Scene Investigation...I've been a fan of this one, the original, since its day 1).

Ghost Hunters and Ghost Hunters International (Wednesday nights at 8 p.m. Central time on Syfy)--Okay, so maybe this is considered a "reality" show, but, in my opinion, it's one of those "reality" shows that isn't so focused on reality. Of course, it's focused on the paranormal. If you believe in ghosts or entities (as I do), then this show can get your pysche going. I find myself listening very closely when they are doing their investigations to see if I can hear the disembodied voices they show surprise at and whisper, "Did you hear that?" Most of the time I don't hear them until they re-play them during their analysis session. Sometimes I wonder if they aren't making stuff up, but, all in all, I often wish I could be on the investigation with the teams and experience the things they experience.

Supernatural (Thursday nights at 8 p.m. Central time on the CW)--I've been a fan of this show since its day 1, though I didn't get to watch a good portion of seasons 1 and 2 (and one of these days I will catch up with them online). It's like the X-files, if Mulder and Scully had been demon-hunting brothers instead of just male and female FBI agents. Hmmm, or maybe not related to the X-Files at all...Sam and Dean Winchester get thrown into some pretty wicked (no pun intended) scenarios each week AND each season. For example, this season finds the two brothers trying to stop the Apocalypse and Lucifer rising. And, like a lot of family dramas, this season the writers have forced the good vs. evil aspect. If you've ever seen the show you'll understand the irony in making Dean the vessel for the Archangel Michael and Sam Lucifer's vessel. Dean's kind of a badass, who has little faith in God (well he did die and spend some time in Hell before one God's angels reached down and got him out) and absolutely no, okay few, morals. Sam, on the other hand, is the kid brother who was always trying to do the right thing (and still gives it his best shot) and do it with a sense of morality. This show is pretty action-packed and every week there's a new "adventure" to go on. It also offers a little comedy, a little drama, and a little bit of horror. So, if you like any of those I suggest you check it out!

The last show I want to blog here about is...
Dollhouse (Friday nights at 7 p.m. Central time on Fox)--Well, this show actually just ended its brief 2-year run. It was a series created by Joss Whedon (the guy who brought us Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Dr. Horrible) about a young woman (Echo, played by Eliza Dushku) who gets "sentenced" to devoting 5 years of her life to the Dollhouse, in exchange for not having to spend more time in prison for a crime that's not fully explained until the series was almost over. Basically, people who were put into the Dollhouse had their minds wiped clean of all memories, only to have them replaced with the memories of others. Not only were new memories implanted (and erased) with each new assignment, the "doll" also received special abilities, like martial arts knowledge, without ever having to train for them. This is another action-packed, adventure type of show that I really got into. Sadly, Fox never gave the show much of a chance (pretty much like it did with Whedon's Firefly) to get off the ground. It sucks; I think Whedon could have really gotten into some deeper stuff involving Rossum (the company that owns many dollhouses throughout the world), and I definitely would've loved to see what Echo could've evolved into. Unlike Firefly, however, I don't think that Dollhouse can be made into a feature-length film. Whedon's ideas for Dollhouse are just too complex and evolving to be contained in a 2-hour movie. (For all you Firefly fan, I'm not saying that this show wasn't complex and evolving, but its premise could be wrapped up a lot prettier in a movie than the Dollhouse's could).

Well, there ya have it folks! My (shortened) list of favorite tv shows. I have a few more than those listed, but that's just of the current stuff on television. I'll have to save my old faves for another blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment